Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Benoit Mandelbrot: Fractals and the art of roughness


Uploaded on Jul 6, 2010

http://www.ted.com

At TED2010, mathematics legend Benoit Mandelbrot develops a theme he
first discussed at TED in 1984 -- the extreme complexity of roughness,
and the way that fractal math can find order within patterns that seem
unknowably complicated.



Quotes

My fate has been that what I undertook was fully understood only after the fact.

I don't seek power and do not run around.

Nobody will deny that there is at least some roughness everywhere.

An extraordinary amount of arrogance is present in any claim of having been the first in inventing something.

I was in an industrial laboratory because academia found me unsuitable.

Now that I near 80, I realize with wistful pleasure that on many occasions I was 10, 20, 40, even 50 years ahead of my time.

For much of my life there was no place where the things I wanted to investigate were of interest to anyone.

Most were beginning to feel they had learned enough to last for the rest of their lives. They remained mathematicians, but largely went their own way.


Benoit Mandelbrot
Mathematician

Benoit B. Mandelbrot was a Polish-born, French and American mathematician with broad interests in the practical sciences, especially regarding what he labeled as "the art of roughness" of physical phenomena and "the uncontrolled element in life." Wikipedia



Link: https://youtu.be/ay8OMOsf6AQ



No comments:

Post a Comment